When working with homeless or in-transition Native American youth, remember:
All Native American youth are not the same.
- Some are highly acculturated to mainstream society; others may not be.
- Some want to maintain a strong connection with their Tribal culture; others may not.
All Tribes are not the same.
- They have different rituals, languages, and ceremonies. They are different cultures.
- Native American youth may have different cultural needs. Offer services like health care, counseling, and life skills curricula that incorporate Native American norms and values.
- Native American people have natural supports. Tribes often have strong spiritual leaders (elders) and a heightened sense of community. Work with these strengths.