Take a Survey About Homeless Youth and the Federal Student Aid Form

A jar of money labeled college.

As we’ve reported, homeless youth who are living on their own have been eligible since 2009 to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, commonly referred to as the FAFSA, as independent students. In other words, they do not have to list their parents’ income or get a parent’s signature to apply for federal assistance for higher education. According to the National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth, thousands of homeless students have been able to get financial aid because of this change in eligibility. Nonetheless, some homeless students still have trouble applying.

The association is trying to find out just how much of a barrier still exists. You can help by taking a short, anonymous survey.

The association’s survey is open on the Survey Monkey website until December 18, 2012. The questions are aimed at educators, youth-serving organizations, college access programs and financial aid offices, so share it with your contacts.

9-5 pm Eastern